Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Pom Poko

Before the long weekend, I saw another Studio Ghibli film (working at a library *rocks*) called Pom Poko.

First off, this movie is *strange*. I realize that most of the Ghibli films are weird, but this one was bizarre. It was about a bunch of raccoons whose forest was being destroyed for a housing complex. The neat thing about the raccoons was that they can change their shape, so they try to sabotage the construction to regain their home.

Raccoons and foxes in Japanese myth are magical, and able to transform, so that premise wasn't too far-fetched. The things the raccoons changed into were pretty strange, and how the males used their, ahem, "sacks" to crush humans and blind truckdrivers was pretty funny.

I found the ending sad, but the movie overall was entertaining.

Pom Poko poster


The male raccoons using their "sacks" to fly


The raccoons learned about the humans by watching TV - and quickly got addicted!


(I'll put these pics on my own server when I get home... promise!)

2 comments:

Heather G. said...

If you think it is weird, I can only imagine that it would cause my brains to ooze forth from my nose.

Sam said...

Guess which photo is making me giggle like a six year old? :)