Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Librarians in "Lirael"

Remember a while ago, I said I wanted to post about different interpretations of libraries/librarians in books (mostly fantasy)? I started off with Terry Pratchett and I've moved onto Garth Nix.

Let me start by saying I'm finally reading his trilogy (I don't think it has a name, but it starts with "Sabriel", then "Lirael", then "Abhorsen") and I love it! It's one of the best books I've read in a while!

But, onto the part of "Lirael" where the main character (Lirael - duh) wants to get a job as a librarian.

---
The Chief Librarian had a large oak-paneled office, with a very long desk that was covered in books, papers, and a large brass tray with that morning's breakfast still half-eaten upon it. There was also a long, silver-bladed sword on the desk, unsheathed, with its hilt close to the Librarian's hand.

"So," said the Librarian, her deep, commanding voice making Lirael jump. "You want to be a librarian?"

"Y-yes," stammered Lirael.

"But are you suitable?" asked the Librarian. She touched the hit of her sword, and for a moment Lirael thought she was going to pick it up and wave it around, to see if it frightened her.

Lirael was already frightened. The Librarian scared her, even without a sword.
(pg. 79-80)

Then, there's the equipment that every librarian needs...

"Now, this whistle clips on the lapel loops here, so you can bend your head and blow into it, even if something's holding your arms. But you should whistle only if you really need help. If you hear a whistle, run towards the sound and do whatever you can to help."

"Of course, the whistle's good only when someone can hear it," continued Imshi, handing Lirael something that at first glance looked like a silver ball. She indicated that it should be placed in the front left pocket of her new waistcoat. "That's why you have the mouse."

"What's it do?" asked Lirael.

"It gets help. Anyway, you have the whistle and the mouse. Here's your belt and scabbard, and I'll just see which dagger is sharpest. Ow! That'll do, I think. Now we just have to put the number in the book, and you have to sign for everything."
(pg. 82-85)

---

I wish I got all that equipment when I started working at the library.

2 comments:

Adriana said...

Wow, that sounds like quite the library :)

Joe said...

Let's see how many customer complaints we'd have if I was allowed to carry a sword for work. ;-)

btw, I think the trilogy is usually called The Abhorsen Trilogy, being the "family name" (or at least inherited position) of all the protagonists. Those were also the books that got me reading epic fantasy again after several years' hiatus.