Friday, June 1, 2007

Tokyo Babylon

Meet 16-year-old Subaru Sumeragi, the 13th head of his clan, and an onmyoji (a spiritual master). He's living in Tokyo with his twin sister Hokuto, and fulfilling his family's destiny to protect Japan from hostile spirits. Hokuto is always trying to set him up with Seishiro, a veterinarian and possibly a member of the Sakurazukamori, a clan of mystical assassins.



Those are the characters of the manga Tokyo Babylon, published in 1991 by CLAMP (one of their first manga). I'm pleasantly surprised with how much I'm enjoying reading these manga. The subplots are very monster-of-the-day, but the overall plot dealing with the relationship between Subaru and Seishiro is fascinating.



Of course, if you've seen X/1999, you probably can figure out how the relationship ends, but I'm not going to spoil it.

I'm trying hard not to race through the five volumes I have, and I'm a little sad there are only 7 volumes total, but I can hardly wait to see how it ends. If you like the occult/spiritual side of manga and are looking for a more mature series than, say, xxxHolic, definitely read this!

1 comment:

Joe said...

For a more light-hearted approach to the ghost-hunting genre, my favourite is Haunted Junction. The three member student council--son of a Christian minister, son of a Buddhist monk, and daughter of a Shinto priestess--keep the ghosts haunting their school at bay with hilarious hijinks.