Sunday, October 14, 2007

My favourite Queen...

What are you doing reading this blog, when you could be watching Elizabeth: The Golden Age?

This movie is just as gorgeous to watch as the first one was, and Cate Blanchett is stunning as Elizabeth I. A few historical innacuracies (what historical film doesn't have them?) but overall a magnificent movie.


Incidentally, the debate over whether or not Mary Stuart was actually in on the plot to kill Elizabeth is still raging. After doing some of my own research (for a university paper), I believe she was a naive and unwitting pawn in the whole ordeal. She genuinely believed that her cousin Elizabeth would save her and put her back on the Scottish throne... but you can form your own opinions.

Go see the movie!

P.S. The photos came from here and here

3 comments:

Joe said...

You actually liked The Golden Age? I was really disappointed with it. The historical inaccuracies were a small part, but I really disliked what they did with the character of Elizabeth herself. In the first movie, we saw her mature from a winsome lass to the iron-willed, impregnable monarch of a kingdom on the rise. In this film, that all gets tossed aside. Elizabeth instead becomes a whiny, bitchy harridan just because Walter Raleigh decides to prance about her court in pantaloons.

I think there must be a better way of handling the incident with Bess Throckmorton without making Elizabeth into a clingy jilted lover (the real Elizabeth would have been about 25 years older than Raleigh).

Azura said...

When Elizabeth started acting like a bratty teen, I just ignored her and focused on the gorgeous costumes.

I'd forgotten about that behaviour - it did bug me... but I still liked the movie!

Joe said...

Point taken--the costumes were pretty awesome.

Still not sure how you managed to do that for a good 50% of the film. :-)