Monday, October 29, 2007

Cooking with Babel Fish

I found a Dutch food store, and went to visit it on Friday. I picked up some tasty Dutch treats, and two packages of Bahmi Goreng mix.



I love Bahmi Goreng - it's Indonesian food, but if you ask anyone in Holland, they consider it authentic Dutch food (which amuses me). It can be very spicy, but I choose to make it much, much milder.

Anyway, I flipped over the package and realized all the instructions on how to prepare this meal are in Dutch. This isn't too big a problem for me, as I can always type up the directions and email them to my Dad, but I don't want to bother him if I can figure it out myself.

Enter Babel Fish.

I typed in the Dutch instructions as they are written on the package, and got some interesting results. This is how you prepare Bahmi Goreng, according to the literal internet translator:

INGREDIENTS

250 grammes mie

250 grammes ongezouten pig flesh (“bacon??”)

50 grammes ham in cubes

300 grammes vegetable to choice

sambal oelek or sambal tjampoer

2 eetlepels conimex wok oil

DIRECTIONS

- cook the mie according to the instructions for use

- however, the contents of this small pocket in 100 ml boiling water (minimum 10 minutes)

- barge it cut in dobbelsteentjes flesh brown in the wok oil.

- joint the welled mix drill bahmi goreng with 1 tea spoon sambal

- joint the fresh vegetables and back these 2 minutes

- joint finally ham and the cooked mie and warmly whole under constant omscheppen well

SUGGESTIONS

- barge a omelette and serves the bahmi with omeletreepjes and peanut sauce

- serve with relish and kroepoek



Mmmm... tasty!

2 comments:

Sam said...

I think it's time to call your Dad and have him explain it to you. Dutch-speaking fathers beat Babelfish any day.

Heather G. said...

Hee hee hee hee... love the babelfish! Although I have to say, the 'pig flesh' kind of turns me off.