Monday, February 16, 2009

The Friday Night Knitting Club


By all rights, I shouldn't have even read this book. It's definitely not the kind of book I usually pick up. I tend to avoid the adult reality type books, preferring to enjoy my escapism with books about fantasy and vampires.

But, the book is about knitting (which I enjoy) and I had just finished reading a fantasy book about politics and assassins ("The Way of the Shadows" by Brent Weeks - very good!), so I figured what the heck.

I was blown away by the readability of this book. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, but I found all the characters to be extremely likeable. Their lives were beautifully displayed and each one was a unique and interesting person. The main character, Georgia, reminded me of the type of person I wanted to be. It was funny, heart warming, moving, and cathartic.

Whether you knit or not, you should read this book... okay, maybe not so much for guys, but everyone else should.

Guys, go pick up "The Way of the Shadows" instead. ;)

3 comments:

Adriana said...

It's waiting for me at the library! Now I'm definitely going to pick it up.

Anonymous said...

I read it. I laughed, I cried. I'm deciding whether I can handle reading Knit Two.

Julie said...

That book was so good! Did I have an influence on you picking up that book?! (Saul's friend Julie). I am reading another one called "The Knitting Circle" by Ann Hood, which I am enjoying even better. I can't wait to read the sequel to The FNKC.