Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Annual Classic

Every year, I try to read a classic novel. Last year was "The Count of Monte Cristo" (which I'm still impressed I finished) and this year is proving to be a toss up. Here are my choices:

"Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass" by Lewis Carroll


Yes, there's movie hype, but I've been wanting to read this one for a while. I've seen the Disney-fied version of the story, and I'm dying to see the new Tim Burton version, but I'd also like to know the original. I remember as a child watching a live action version of "Through the Looking Glass" that scared the pants off me! My best friend and I would make a pillow fort, get big bowls of strawberry ice cream, and watch the dragon scene.



"Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austin



I have been very resistant to Jane Austin my whole life. I've never seen the movie versions, I've never read the written versions, and honestly I'm not 100% sure what they're about. And since I can't remember why I detest Jane Austin so much, perhaps I'll give this one a go this year. I've heard good things, and it would pave the way for this :



"The Hunchback of Notre Dame" by Victor Hugo


This has been sitting on my shelf for a while, waiting to be read. At first, I thought this would be my classic of 2010, but I've been reading a lot of Victor Hugo and Alexandre Dumas, so I thought perhaps I'd branch into a different author this year. This is another classic where I've seen the Disney-fied version and would like to know the true one!


So those are my choices. What do you think? What should I read?

No comments: